Friday, May 09, 2008

The New Kid

Did I happen to mention that we bought an old card catalog? It was via Craigslist (oh, how I love you) and it was $100. It's from Chatam College's library where the woman I bought it from used to work. She told me that she saved it from getting moved from the junk room to the dumpster. It's pretty much my favorite thing in the whole house right now.



The drawer labels still have typewriter-typed or handwritten categories on them in classic librarian handwriting (click the photo to make it huge - you can see it better). The wood is divine. The legs have little copper taps on them.


And the middle section has pull-out shelves for you to set the drawers on while you look up books for your report on the Civil War.
It's crazy to me that my kids will never use a card catalog. In fact, by the time we have kids and they're old enough to be doing library research, it'll probably be optional to even go to a library. It'll all be internet-based or downloadable to the microchips in our arms or something wacko like that. See? This is why we're moving to an island in the country and taking all of our old books with us.

6 comments:

Sandy and Michael said...

Wow, I love it! What a deal :) I know what you mean, I love books and libraries, in fact I went to our local library today.

Have a good weekend!

sandy

Anonymous said...

This is the coolest!!!

Jennifer said...

Wow! I want one! What a great way to organize something.

C. said...

Beautiful! So jealous.

Anonymous said...

Awesome. Having absolutely nothing to put in it doesn't make me want it any less.

Kristen said...

Jason - Hah! Me neither. Most things I think of to put in it seem unworthy!