Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Felted balls everywhere!


Everywhere you look in our house these days, there are tiny colorful felt balls.  On the sofa, on the floor, in the muffin tins, in the fridge.  Happy little wool balls everywhere.


I bought some to make a garland, and perhaps talk myself into tackling this fabulous wreath this year.
I did make some pretty Christmas garlands for the mantels,  but Adelaide fell in love with these delightful little buggers before I made the tree garland.


(See the melon-baller in her hand?)

She puts them in every container she can find, then switches to another container. 
They go in a bowl with some blocks, then get sorted from the blocks.
She makes fuzzy ball soup, fuzzy ball pies, fuzzy ball drinks. 

 (Isn't that the happiest pie you've ever seen?)

(All the while muttering "dots, dots".)

I ordered more for a garland, so she can keep playing with these.  They're so much fun, I don't mind having a whole bunch around. 

My 2 cm felt balls came from this Etsy shop,  since Ornamentea is sold out until, like, June.  You can, of course, also make your own.  I used embroidery floss and a sharp sturdy needle for stringing.  A thimble or needle-nosed pliers could be helpful, too! 

3 comments:

Di said...

Thanks for posting this! I just bought Ethan some little primary-colored wooden pegs and cups for matching, but I was thinking about some wooden balls as well. These are even better, since they're soft (less noisy!!). I love how even at this age, babies can use their imaginations. Such fun!

dulcie said...

Very cute! My sister-in-law could be a professional felter. You should see the adorable little critters she has created. :)

Amber said...

Oh yes, I can see that those would be loads of fun for cooking with and sorting! Colorful buttons are a similar favorite in our house. The felted balls we've tried making are never as nice and perfectly, tightly round as these!